Pacific Pro Football League set to Debut in 2018
I have some big news for you football fans today! A new football league is set to kick off next winter in 2018. I know we talked about the Spring League that's coming this Spring that's for NFL free agents, but this new Pacific Pro league is for young athletes coming out of high school that may of not been eligible to make it or just can't afford college or for college athletes that weren't drafted. There's a minimum three year waiting period after high school before these athletes can join the Pacific Pro Football League.
The way the league is set up as of right now it will be made up of 4 teams with 50 players to a roster playing under pro rules. Here's the kicker though, on average each player will make about $50k to play in the league. This is huge for low income families that would struggle paying for their child's expenses while in college. Obviously we all know it's illegal to pay college athletes and being a college athlete coming from a low income household can be very challenging for the player and parents. I understand earning a degree from a university is paramount to having success after football, but this will offer a great opportunity for those struggling families and for the players that don't have the certain resources to meet daily living standards while in college. It's also a great second chance for athletes that simply just couldn't make the grades to become a student athlete.
With all that being said, this could actually destroy college football as we know it and turn the NCAA upside down on its head. I personally love that athletes will have the option now to go ahead and start making money after being three years removed from high school. It's also a great opportunity for undrafted players to showcase their skills that may of been overlooked because they weren't division 1 prospects. I mean there's no telling how many great players missed out on the NFL because they didn't go to a big of enough school. For a better example I'm going to rattle off some NFL greats from past and present that come from small schools that did make it to the big leagues. Jerry Rice-Mississippi Valley State, Walter Payton-Jackson State, Brett Favre-Southern Mississippi, Marshal Faulk-San Diego State, Brandon Marshall-Central Florida, Steve McNair-Alcorn State, Terrell Owens-Tennessee Chattanooga, Joe Flacco-Delaware. So that goes to show, you just never know where you'll find that next big star and this league will help those kind of players that didn't get drafted based on where they attended school to get a second look.
This is some monumental news for football in America. This will be very interesting to keep a close eye on as it continues to grow. I believe we'll see players that can't afford college living or just don't have the grades to start to bypass the college game to join the Pacific Pro League which will cut into to the college game and NCAA at some point. This league will also help better prepare players to play in a pro style type of game. When I say pro style, I mean the players will be better prepared for pro football in the NFL. College football and pro football are very different styles of play, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I'm going to keep y'all updated on this new league as we continue to learn more and we'll just have to wait and see how it's going to impact the college football side of things.
The way the league is set up as of right now it will be made up of 4 teams with 50 players to a roster playing under pro rules. Here's the kicker though, on average each player will make about $50k to play in the league. This is huge for low income families that would struggle paying for their child's expenses while in college. Obviously we all know it's illegal to pay college athletes and being a college athlete coming from a low income household can be very challenging for the player and parents. I understand earning a degree from a university is paramount to having success after football, but this will offer a great opportunity for those struggling families and for the players that don't have the certain resources to meet daily living standards while in college. It's also a great second chance for athletes that simply just couldn't make the grades to become a student athlete.
With all that being said, this could actually destroy college football as we know it and turn the NCAA upside down on its head. I personally love that athletes will have the option now to go ahead and start making money after being three years removed from high school. It's also a great opportunity for undrafted players to showcase their skills that may of been overlooked because they weren't division 1 prospects. I mean there's no telling how many great players missed out on the NFL because they didn't go to a big of enough school. For a better example I'm going to rattle off some NFL greats from past and present that come from small schools that did make it to the big leagues. Jerry Rice-Mississippi Valley State, Walter Payton-Jackson State, Brett Favre-Southern Mississippi, Marshal Faulk-San Diego State, Brandon Marshall-Central Florida, Steve McNair-Alcorn State, Terrell Owens-Tennessee Chattanooga, Joe Flacco-Delaware. So that goes to show, you just never know where you'll find that next big star and this league will help those kind of players that didn't get drafted based on where they attended school to get a second look.
This is some monumental news for football in America. This will be very interesting to keep a close eye on as it continues to grow. I believe we'll see players that can't afford college living or just don't have the grades to start to bypass the college game to join the Pacific Pro League which will cut into to the college game and NCAA at some point. This league will also help better prepare players to play in a pro style type of game. When I say pro style, I mean the players will be better prepared for pro football in the NFL. College football and pro football are very different styles of play, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I'm going to keep y'all updated on this new league as we continue to learn more and we'll just have to wait and see how it's going to impact the college football side of things.
Comments
Post a Comment