College Football Superstars Sitting Out Last Game

Ok guys today we're going to cover a debateable topic on college football players deciding to forgo meaningless games at the end of the season by getting physically and mentally ready for the NFL.

Today news broke Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey is going to miss this years Sun Bowl to get ready for the NFL. Christian isn't the first high profile player to do this. LSU's running back Leonard Fournette also chose to sit out of this years bowl game to get ready for the NFL as well.

I have to say I'm not suprised at all by any of this. I respect Christian coming out and saying he was going to skip this years bowl game to get ready for the NFL rather than making up a excuse or to hide behind a made up injury. In Leonard's case it's a little different, he hasn't been 100% on the back half of this years season.

And as college football fans we are the most passionate of fans about our teams, but we need to understand these are young men making big decisions for their futures. We have to not overlook how much these guys have given to their respected University's and laid there bodies out on the line every Saturday. There's no guarantees in football. I can't blame somebody that wants to build a future for themselves after college sports and take care of their bodies so they can reach the next level and get that NFL contract with guaranteed money.

I don't see this trend going away anytime soon. Personally, I think we've gone into a new era of college football and we're going see a lot more of this with teams that have those stars looking towards the draft, rather than playing in meaningless bowl games in December with a risk of a career ending injury.

I can also see the other side of this issue. Not all of your teammates will go play in the NFL. This might be some of those seniors last game. I understand why some would hold grudges against those guys sitting out as a very selfish move. But it's not like they were in the College Football Playoff or any of the other New Years 6 Bowls for that matter.

It's one of those situations where you might get a little hipocritcal. You just have to put yourself in their shoes and ask, is this worth risking my whole life's work to reach this point that I've worked so hard to get to and then go and get seriously injured to just play in one more meaningless game that could possbily end my football career?

We've seen other players do this before in the past, but most of the time it was because of not being fully healthy at the time. I believe the flood gates have now been let open on this after today's big announcement from McCaffrey. As this continues to happen more over time it's going to start to be more widely accepted by players, coaches, and fans. Lets just keep in mind these guys have to build a future for themselves after college football.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Battlefront 2 Pay to Play/ Death of Triple A Games

Redskins Refuse to Wear the Color Rush Jersey Tonight

The SEC Struggles this Bowl Season